Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 6 Glacier Bay National Park

Glacier Bay was my favorite day. It was amazing, beautiful, indescribable. I could have stayed there forever. It was also the nicest day we had.

Here we are entering Glacier Bay (well, we actually entered early in the morning but this is my first time out).

Coming to the big glaciers. This is Margerie Glacier and is over a mile from end to end. It calved several times while we watched. Calving is when the glacier breaks and falls off into the water becoming an iceberg.


Looking from port side.

Majestic!

That is one large and long glacier ahead.


While the adults were taking pictures and enjoying the scenery, the kids were inside playing ping pong. They would run out the door if we told them to come look. Love the reflection on the window.


I never realized how rocky Alaska was until now.

Clay and Heather

Clay and Nana

Aaaah! What beauty.

More beauty.
Clay, Poppa, and Nana

This is John Hopkins Glacier.

Do you see the three light brown fuzz on the shore? Well, that is 3 grizzly bears. Too cool!

This is to the left of the bears. What a beautiful waterfall.

I'm pretty sure this is the Grand Pacific Glacier. I took this picture on the port side across toward starboard. Looks awesome.

Look at the X. See the 2 blobs just to the right? Those are harbor seals. We also saw humpback whales which I could never time my camera right to get a good picture. I was always too late or too early. We also saw eagles, puffins, and sea otters but they were just black dots in the water, so I did use any of those pictures.

This is one of the small boats from the National Park, here to see the glaciers.

Wow!

Gorgeous!

In the afternoon, the park rangers that were on the ship the whole time we were in the park, were picked up.

The boat came beside the ship. The rangers had to scale a rope ladder down onto their boat. And then head back to the home base.

1 comment:

  1. Heather, these pictures are so beautiful!!! Alaska has definitely moved up on my "want to visit" list now! :)

    ReplyDelete